Your Last Minute Application Checklist for College
Filling out college applications can be a stressful task. There are so many items to secure and compile: individual applications, the Common Application, recommendation letters, SAT scores... the list goes on. Feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place! Use the checklist below as a helpful guide in making your college application process a little easier.
- Make a list of the colleges of your choice. One way is to have a single notebook dedicated to “College Application Info.” Dedicate each page to one college choice. This then allows all the information to be broken down per page by college.
- Next, record important dates. Make note of the early submission deadline date and regular submission deadline date. Leave a space to fill in the date the application was sent. If you use a digital scheduling app or calendar, you may want to record these important dates there as well.
- Explore each college’s website to find all the requirements needed along with the application. Start by writing them down next to the college name in your notebook. Once you’ve completed each requirement, remember to cross them off of your list. Recording everything, and checking it off as you go, will ensure you don’t miss a thing!
- At this point you should have recorded what type of application is needed, how many recommendations need to be sent, and when the important deadlines are. Set up envelopes, labeled and stamped, and start thinking about which teachers, friends, or colleagues you can ask to write you a winning letter.
- Want to get a step ahead? Make sure to check which colleges accept college credits earned through exams. DSST exams are a great way to save money while earning credits. Already taken AP exams? Double check your list and find out if you will be granted the credits before applying!
Your application process is finally underway! You may want to print out this checklist for future reference.
photo credit: Cassandra Leigh Gotto